Visiting, studying or working in England are on the agenda of many people. But before you can enjoy the country and go out and enjoy all the attractions possible, you need a visa to do it legally and without problems with the government. Each country has its particularities when it comes to going through immigration and in this case it’s no different, so don’t leave it for later!

The UK government website has a quick quiz for you to find out exactly what you need to do according to your situation. Just answer your nationality and what you want to do in the country and the website will tell you which visa you need to get.

Tourist visa:

India has an agreement with the United Kingdom that allows visa-free travel for certain types of travellers. If you are going to do tourism or visit friends or family in England, you do not need a visa in advance, your entry will be allowed at the airport’s immigration. But for that you need to bring some documents that prove that you will return to India before the maximum period of 6 months allowed by this category.

Necessary documents:

Remember that the function of the documents is to show the immigration officer that you still have a bond with India and have no intention of staying in the country illegally or longer than is allowed. Understanding this will help you distinguish the needs of certain documents.

  • The passport is the mandatory document in all visa situations. If you still don’t have one or it is expired, go to the Federal Police website and request its issuance.
  • The return ticket helps a lot to prove your link with India, so be sure to take a copy of it with you in your carry-on bag.
  • The voucher for the hotel where you will be staying or the invitation letter if you are staying with a friend or family. Ask them to send you a letter proving the invitation, with all the host’s contact information.
  • Carry enough pound cash to support yourself every day of your stay (about 65 pounds a day) and an international credit card.
  • If you want a little more security to guarantee your entry into England, bring documents that prove any employment or student relationship in India, such as enrollment statements, letters from employers, etc.

Student visa:

If you intend to take a short-term or long-term course in England, you must apply for a student visa. There are two types of visa for this case: the short-stay visa and the general visa.

Short-term Study Visa:

With the short-stay study visa, you can study at an English language school or on a vocational course for a maximum of 11 months. If the period exceeds this time, you must apply for the general student visa. With a short-stay visa, you will not be able to work, bring family members, study in public schools or extend your stay.

Documentation required:

  • Valid passport.
  • Evidence that you can support yourself financially in the country, such as statements and paychecks.
  • Details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans.
  • If you are under 18 years of age, contact at least one responsible person in the country of origin.
  • Letter of acceptance from the educational institution.
  • Note: All documents that are not in English or Welsh must have a certified translation.

General long-term study visa:

The general study visa in England allows you to study for more than 11 months, extend your stay and work in most advertised jobs. You must complete the process at least 3 months before starting your course, in addition to paying a fee of £335 for the visa and a fee of £200 per year for the healthcare system. For Scholarship Click here

Documentation required:

  • Valid passport.
  • Evidence that you can support yourself financially in the country, such as statements and paychecks.
  • Proof of parental consent, if under 18 years of age.
  • Letter of admission to the educational institution.
  • Certificate of Proficiency in English (IELTS).
  • Note: All documents that are not in English or Welsh must have a certified translation.

Work Visa:

If you want to work in England, there are 3 types of visas: Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 5. Each of them specifies a type of professional. Tier 1 is used by entrepreneurs with the ability to invest at least £200,000 in the country. Tier 2 is for general workers who received job offers abroad or were transferred in a multinational and Tier 5 is intended for temporary workers, such as sportsmen, volunteers, religious, etc. For UK Visa

  • Necessary documents
  • Valid passport.
  • Confirmation of interview appointment.
  • VAC service fee payment receipt.
  • Printed application form.
  • Evidence and support documents.
  • Search!

There are several details throughout the process and most of them are not listed here because they are specific cases. So be sure to take a close look at the British government website to find out exactly what you need and good luck!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *